Everything is broken, my whole workflow of merging is broken
I've wanted to report this for many months, but I felt like I needed to investigate more. But then I realized that's your job, not mine.
My usual workflow for any non-trivial merge (i.e. where there are conflicts to resolve) was this:
- I would update to the revision to merge to
- I would right-click on the other revision (the one to merge from)
- I would select "Merge with local", then click Next
- Where it says "N files have merge conflicts that must be resolved" I would click on Resolve
- I would select all files and click "Tool resolve", even though I don't really know the difference between the different kinds of resolve. I don't care because I'm going to review the conflicts manually anyway. That would move files from the list above to the list below.
- One by one, I would select files in the list below and click "3 way diff", and manage the conflicts manually from there (choosing which "side" to keep, etc).
Starting a few months ago, maybe since I installed Thg on OpenSUSE on a new machine (I was using Ubuntu before), this is all broken and I can't do any of that.
When I click Tool Resolve, a bunch of garbage characters show up in the command output:
and a progress bar shows up in the main Thg window that remains there forever even after I cancel merging. From there, Thg is unusable and I have to restart it.
I seem to remember in some cases the Tool Resolve worked, and then at the next step, when clicking "3 way diff tool" it just does nothing. I think I have reported that in another bug that to this day is still open.
Note: it could well be (as I already pointed out in the other abovementioned bug) that there's simply something missing that I need to install, but then, I expect a graceful error message tell me "This or that is missing, please install it".