☂️ macOS installation experience
Hey, I'm trying to install the latest and greatest version of PyPy on my Mac.
I've hit a number of hurdles, so I wanted to catalogue these, and where I can create merge-requests to fix them. This issue is really an umbrella to track fixable problems (and not me just having a general whinge!)
- There is no macOS installer
- The precompiled binaries are unsigned, which makes them almost useless on a modern macOS version as it is extremely locked down with unsigned binaries. Even allowing the main entry point with a security exception in Mac, it won't allow dynamic loading of compiled extensions.
- The website mentions home-brew but links to the formula source code, there is no reference to how to install in homebrew
- The installing page on the docs does not direct to conda or home-brew. https://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/install.html There is no subheading for Mac Users
Challenges with homebrew
- Only 2.7 and 3.7 versions of v7 are available
pypyformula = 2.7 and the
pypy3formula = 3.7
- There is no way to install 3.8 or 3.9 flavours
As such, I'm left with no real options, other than compiling from source.