☂️ macOS installation experience
Hey, I'm trying to install the latest and greatest version of PyPy on my Mac.
I've hit a number of hurdles, so I wanted to catalogue these, and where I can create merge-requests to fix them. This issue is really an umbrella to track fixable problems (and not me just having a general whinge!)
- There is no macOS installer
- The precompiled binaries are unsigned, which makes them almost useless on a modern macOS version as it is extremely locked down with unsigned binaries. Even allowing the main entry point with a security exception in Mac, it won't allow dynamic loading of compiled extensions.
- The website mentions home-brew but links to the formula source code, there is no reference to how to install in homebrew
- The installing page on the docs does not direct to conda or home-brew. https://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/install.html There is no subheading for Mac Users
Challenges with homebrew
- Only 2.7 and 3.7 versions of v7 are available
pypyformula = 2.7 and the
pypy3formula = 3.7
- There is no way to install 3.8 or 3.9 flavours
As such, I'm left with no real options, other than compiling from source.
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have an admin enable hashed storage. More information